Use retention policies to define the length of time you retain historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly.
Configure retention policies for data stored in Barracuda Cloud-to-Cloud Backup on the Backup > Retention Policies page. Be sure to configure retention policies for your data. Not doing so means that some unwanted data will be moved across the Internet and stored.
Historic data is retained according to the retention policy timeline. Data backed up using Barracuda's cloud treats Sunday as the end of week in accordance with the ISO date standard. Revision data is retained based on the date the file is removed. For example, if a file was backed up on January 1 and the retention policy is configured to hold onto data for 7 daily revisions, if the file is modified or removed at any point, the revision is held onto for 7 additional days after this action.
To retain weekly, monthly, and yearly revisions, Barracuda Cloud-to-Cloud Backup ages forward files that are not created specifically at the end of the week, month, or year to be recoverable as part of these revisions.
Create a Retention Policy
When you define a retention policy, begin by selecting either a preset template or a previously defined policy as a starting point. This helps you avoid creating multiple retention policies for the same sets of data. You can create one policy for all of the data sources in Barracuda Cloud-to-Cloud Backup, or create different policies that include subsets of the data. Use the Backup > Retention Policies page to define content retention rules:
- Go to the Backup Retention Policies page, and enter a name to identify the policy in the Policy name field.
- The Items to retain section displays all data sources. Select all of the items you want to include in the retention policy, or click Apply to all data sources for this Barracuda Cloud to Cloud Backup to apply the retention policy to all data sources.
- In the Retention timeline section, define how historic data is retained. From the Timeline templates drop-down menu, select from the pre-defined templates which you can modify, or create your own custom timeline. The Revisions timeline and Retention Calendar display the timeline based on the selected template:
- Define how long to keep daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly backups in the Revisions timeline section:
Keep all revisions for – Specify the number of day(s) to keep all content revisions, or select never or forever.
Keep daily revisions for – Specify how long to keep daily revisions. Specify a number of day(s), never, or forever.
- Keep weekly revisions for – Specify how long to keep weekly revisions. Specify a number of week(s), never, or forever.
- Keep monthly revisions for – Specify how long to keep monthly revisions. Specify a number of month(s), never, or forever.
- Keep yearly revisions for – Specify how long to keep yearly revisions. Specify a number of years(s), never, or forever.
- The Retention Calendar displays the timeline based on the values in the Revisions timeline. Click Show previous years to view prior year retention timelines.