Setting up Emailed System Alerts
The BASIC > Administration page allows you to configure the Barracuda Email Security Gateway to automatically email system notifications and alerts to the email address(es) you specify. To enter multiple addresses, separate each address with a comma. Note that notifications are queued separately from outbound messages. System alerts are sent from the Barracuda Email Security Gateway to the System Alerts Email Address(es) you specify when a system issue triggers an automated alert, including:
- LDAP lookup or server errors. This alert email is sent once per day reporting LDAP errors logged over the past 24 hours. A few errors may not be indicative of a problem, but more than a few may mean that there is mail that is being blocked for one or more invalid recipients.
- Failure of an automated backup. The email will indicate the cause of failure, such as, for example, the backup server is not available, invalid username or invalid password. Check the settings on the ADVANCED > Backup page in the Automated Backups section.
Notifications are sent from Barracuda Central to the System Contact Email Address when:
- Your Energize Update subscription is about to expire
- Problems arise with RAID disk storage
- New security bulletins are available
Setting up SNMP Query and Alerts
While the Barracuda Email Security Gateway will send email alerts to the System Alerts Email Address specified on the BASIC > Administration page, these alerts are limited and do not include latency, inqueue sizes, and other similar information. To monitor more specific information on a Barracuda Email Security Gateway, Barracuda Networks recommends using SNMP monitoring with an SNMP server. The Barracuda Email Security Gateway 400 and higher offers the ability to monitor various settings via SNMP, including:
- System statistics, such as:
- inbound/outbound queue size
- average email latency
- encrypted, blocked, quarantined and tagged messages based on spam, custom policy, virus, etc. (outbound mail included)
- appliance uptime
- Performance statistics, including mail/log storage, CPU temperature and system load.
To query the Barracuda Email Security Gateway for these statistics via SNMP, you must first enable the SNMP agent, specify the SNMP version you’re using, the community string, and enter the IP address of the server(s) that will be making the SNMP connection in the SNMP Manager section of the BASIC > Administration page.
To configure SNMP with the Barracuda Email Security Gateway, see How to Use SNMP Monitoring.