Basic Troubleshooting Tools
The ADVANCED > Troubleshooting page provides a suite of tools that help troubleshoot network connectivity issues that may be impacting the performance of your Barracuda Email Security Gateway.
For example, you can test your Barracuda Email Security Gateway’s connection to the Barracuda Networks update servers to make sure that it can successfully download the latest Energize Updates definitions. You can also ping or telnet to other devices from the Barracuda Email Security Gateway, perform dig/NS-lookup, TCP dump and perform a trace route from the Barracuda Email Security Gateway to any another system.
Connect to Barracuda Support Servers
In the Support Diagnostics section of the ADVANCED > Troubleshooting page, you can initiate a connection between your Barracuda Email Security Gateway and the Barracuda Networks Technical Support Center which will allow technical support engineers to troubleshoot any issues you may be experiencing. See How to Open a Support Tunnel for details.
Rebooting the System in Recovery Mode
If your Barracuda Email Security Gateway experiences a serious issue that impacts its core functionality, you can use diagnostic and recovery tools that are available from the reboot menu (see below) to return your system to an operational state.
Before you use the diagnostic and recovery tools, do the following:
- Use the built-in troubleshooting tools on the ADVANCED > Troubleshooting page to help diagnose the problem.
- Perform a system restore from the last known good backup file.
- Contact Barracuda Networks Technical Support for additional troubleshooting tips.
As a last resort, you can reboot your Barracuda Email Security Gateway and run a memory test or perform a complete system recovery, as described below.
To perform a system recovery or hardware test
- Connect a monitor and keyboard directly to your Barracuda Email Security Gateway.
- Reboot the system by doing one of the following:
- In the web interface: Go to the BASIC > Administration page, navigate to the System Management section, and click Restart.
- At the front panel of the Barracuda Email Security Gateway: Press the Power button on the front panel to turn off the system, and then press the Power button again to turn the system on.
The splash screen displays with the following three boot options:Barracuda
- Use your keyboard to select the desired boot option, and press the Enter key. You must select the boot option within three seconds after the splash screen appears. If you do not select an option within three seconds, the Barracuda Email Security Gateway starts up in Normal mode (first option). For a description of each boot option, refer to Reboot Options below.
The table below describes the options available at the reboot menu.
|Barracuda||Starts the Barracuda Email Security Gateway in the normal (default) mode. This option is automatically selected if no other option is specified within the first three seconds of the splash screen appearing.|
Displays the Recovery Console, where you can select the following options:
Performs a thorough memory test that shows most memory related errors within a two-hour time period. The memory test is performed outside of the operating system and can take a long time to complete. Reboot your Barracuda Email Security Gateway to stop the hardware test.