All Barracuda Spam Firewalls, all firmware versions.
If you want to swap out one Barracuda Email Security Gateway for another seamlessly (with no interruption in email service), as in the case where you receive an RMA or replacement unit, please follow the steps below:
- Back up all of the old unit's configurations separately using the Advanced > Backup page, including System Configuration, User Settings, Valid Recipients (if available), and both Global and User Bayesian database backups if necessary and possible.
- Connect the new Email Security Gateway to your network.
- Connect a monitor and keyboard to the Barracuda and configure the IP, Subnet, Gateway, and DNS settings (as per the Quickstart Guides located here (appliance): https://campus.barracuda.com/product/emailsecuritygateway/doc/3866681/getting-started/?sl=AWvc_Qqd4OnDLRQh0buy&so=4 Virtual QSG: https://campus.barracuda.com/product/emailsecuritygateway/doc/3866625/barracuda-email-security-gateway-vx-quick-start-guide
- Log into the new Barracuda's web interface and update the Energize Updates (Advanced > Energize Updates) and firmware (Advanced > Firmware).
- Place the unit in offline mode by hitting the offline button via the Basic -> Administration tab at the bottom of the page.
- Load the backup files, one by one, using the Restore Backup File feature on the Advanced > Backup page of the Barracuda's web interface. If you receive a checksum error, please see Solution #00001406.
- Then perform a RELOAD from the Basic -> Administration tab
- Then place the unit in online mode by hitting the online button via the Basic -> Administration tab at the bottom of the page.
- Direct all relevant network traffic away from the old Barracuda (if it is still active) and to the new Barracuda.
Alternatively, if you don't want to change any of your other network settings, you can remove your old Email Security Gateway, replace it with your new Email Security Gateway, and assign your old Email Security Gateway's IP address to your new Email Security Gateway. This could result in downtime during the switch because two devices cannot coexist on the same network with the same IP address.
If you are replacing a Email Security Gateway in a cluster, the recommended procedure is a little different. You do not need to create and restore backup files because the cluster will force a synchronization of all configuration settings. Follow these steps instead:
- On the unit you are removing (old unit) go to the Advanced->Clustering page and remove the shared secret.The unit will log you out.
- Log back into the "old unit" and give it a new unique IP address. This allows you to access it for historical logs (step 2 is not required, but can be useful when looking for old messages).
- Log into all other units in the cluster, go to the Advanced->Clustering page, and use the "trashcan" to remove the "old unit" from their cluster setting(s).
- Put the new/replacement unit on line. Using the CONSOLE login, assign it a DIFFERENT IP address then any previously used.
- Log into the Web Interface for this new/replacement unit. IMPORTANT NOTE: The firmware version of the new/replacement unit must match the firmware version of the units in your existing cluster. If it does not you will need to either update the new/replacement unit, or the units in the cluster as needed. Contact Barracuda Technical Support if you have any questions on updating your firmware.
- Go to the Basic->Administration page and at the bottom of the page, click the "Off Line" button
- Go to the Basic->IP Configuration page and change the IP address to it permanent address. The unit should log you out and reset.
- When the login page returns, go to the Advanced->Clustering page and enter the "Cluster Shared Secret" and save the page (if you do not know the shared secret just update ALL Barracudas to a new shared secret). Note that this will log you out of the web interface.
- Log back into the new/replacement unit, Go to the Advanced->Clustering page.
- Enter the IP address of another unit in the cluster to the "Add System" field.
- Click the "Join Cluster" button. The clustering should complete in a few minutes but can take up to several hours depending on the number of user accounts.
- From the Basic->Administration page, put the units back on line.
Link to This Page: