What’s New in Version 2019.1
- Fixed an issue where helpdesk users were unable to block senders from the message log. [BNESS-13377]
- Changed the text on the "Advanced Search" button in message log. [BNESS-11478]
What’s New in Version 2018.16 (since 12/5/2018)
- Removed unneeded navigation elements for End Users, Help Desk Users and Domain Admins. [BNESS-12581]
- Added a “Login as Administrator” link on the login page. [BNESS-11511]
- Improvement to Advanced Search on Message Logs. [BNESS-11478]
- Advanced Threat Protection notification email text change. [BNESS-13009]
- Clarified CNAME record setup steps when moving a domain to a different account. [BNESS-13145]
- Improved speed and consistency of DKIM validation. [BNESS-13049]
- Fixed an issue when extracting 7zip attachments. [BNESS-13099]
- Fixed an issue when looking up data from BRTS. [BNESS-13103]
- Added ATD Exemptions for customer-to-customer emails. [BNESS-9168]
What's New in Version 2018.16
- Fixed an issue where policies would not be honored in certain situations [BNESS-12969]
Self-Service Domain Moves
- You can transfer a domain you own to a different account. [BNESS-11451]
What's New in Version 2018.15
- Added a new scanning layer for image-based advertisement spam. These messages will be blocked for reason Image Analysis. [BNESS-11216]
- Attachments sent in replies are now scanned for viruses [BNESS-12573, BNESS-12718]
Cloud Protection Layer
- Fixed an issue with messages being quarantined for DMARC. They will now be blocked. [BNESS-12663]
- Fixed problems with LDAP manual synchronization in the UK and DE regions [BNESS-10370]
What's New in Version 2018.14
What's New in Version 2018.13
- Fixed an issue with sender spoof protection blocks being overwritten by other scanning layers [BNESS-12410]
Restored the All Message Log filter for end users [BNESS-12097]
Added option to allow end users to view and deliver blocked emails; this does not apply to emails blocked for
Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) [BNESS-12095]
What's New in Version 2018.12
- Blocks for barracuda_email_blocklist are no longer converted to quarantine [BNESS-12005]
- Configure Backup/Restore is now fully available in all regions
What's New in Version 2018.11
- Fixed an issue with 'encrypt' predefined content filter precedence [BNESS-11692]
- Updated wording in the dashboard's subscription panel [BNESS-11294]
- Updated help files [BNESS-11789, BNESS-11892, BNESS-11899]
- New warning displays when trying to save account settings if domain settings exist [BNESS-11364]
What's New in Version 2018.10
- Fixed an issue with DKIM [BNESS-11685]
- All new Barracuda Essentials trials will have Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) enabled [BNESS-11397]
- Attachment Intent checker is now at 100% [BNESS-10512]
- Message headers are visible to MSPs for accounts with Message Privacy enabled [BNESS-11116]
- End users can no longer view or deliver/whitelist blocked messages and the Delete button for quarantined messages is now separate from the other buttons [BNESS-11309, BNESS-11376, BNESS-11377, BNESS-11226]
- Added link to blocked messages at the end of the inbound quarantine notification email [BNESS-11302]
- Fixed an issue with bulk edit [BNESS-11632]
- Updated the help file for Block on no PTR Records [BNESS-11675]
- Fixed an issue where synchronized Azure AD users had the wrong linked accounts [BNESS-11673]
What's New in Version 2018.9
Added the Help Desk Role. In this role, users can deliver messages, view message headers, view domain-level settings, and view all domain settings and users for the assigned domains. Note that the Help Desk role cannot view message body on a user's account. [BNESS-10436]
Improved logging for messages deferred for suspicious nameserver [BNESS-10848]
Fixed an issue with the Delete button in the user message log [BNESS-11113]
Updated the Rate Control documentation to be more accurate for CPL accounts [BNESS-11262]
- Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) will be enabled by default for all Barracuda Email Security Service trials [BNESS-11397]
What's New in Version 2018.8
- Spam accuracy improvements [BNESS-10837], [BNESS10806], [BNESS-10876]
- Option to block or quarantine password protected Microsoft documents is now at 100% [BNESS-7623]
- Show error message when attempting to generate reports older than 30 days [BNESS-11074]
What's New in Version 2018.7
Active Directory Enhancements
- Added Azure AD support on a per-domain basis
- Added extra headers to the message [BNESS-10844]
- CVE for the p7zip vulnerability [BNESS-10892]
- Added option to block or quarantine password protected Microsoft documents; initially available as an option to customers during slow rollout [BNESS-7623]
- Sender Spoof feature name change in the UI to Sender Spoof Protection [BNESS-10822]
- Added more details in sender spoof protection documentation [BNESS-10987]
- Updated the help Menu for Intent Domain Policies [BNESS-9099]
- Performance improvements to the user settings page [BNESS-10165]
What's New in Version 2018.6
- Separated the Outbound Hostname section from MX Records Configuration section [BNESS-8014]
What's New in Version 2018.5
- Added Customer feedback form
What's New in Version 2018.4
- Advanced Threat Protection sender exemptions now take sender headers into consideration
- Improvements to link protection
- Improvements to spam accuracy
- Select regional sender policies
What's New in Version 2018.3
- Added ability to block emails by location
- Graceful failover when antivirus results are not available
- Improvements to Link Protect accuracy
- Improvements to SPF accuracy
- Free Spamhaus RBL is no longer processed
What's New in Version 2018.2
- Performance and stability improvements
- Spam accuracy improvements
- Bulk email detection for headers
What's New in Version 2018.1
- Miscellaneous improvements and robustness to improve stability
- Miscellaneous UI optimizations
What's New in Version 2017.17
What's New in Version 2017.16
What's New in Version 2017.14
What's New in Version 2017.12
What's New in Version 2017.11
- Quarantine Notification digest text color changed to black
- Advanced Threat Protection enhancements to better handle pending scan after threshold time has passed
What's New in Version 2017.10
- Fix mishandling of emails in link-protected messages
- Improvements to file type detection accuracy
- Miscellaneous speed improvements
- Quarantine notifications are now sorted by date
- Improvements to recipient count accuracy
- Improvements on how UI redelivery handles malformed messages
- Improvements to automatic LDAP sync efficiency
What's New in Version 2017.9
- SPF blocks are no longer converted to quarantine under any circumstances
What's New in Version 2017.8
- Added option to quarantine Real Time System (BRTS), Reputation Block List (BRBL) and Anti-Fraud Intelligence (BAFI)
- Improved efficiency of Advanced Threat Protection (ATP)
- Improved spam accuracy
- Improved performance of user lists with large number of users
- Improved accuracy of dashboard stats
- Improved reliability of saved searches in Message Log
What's New in Version 2017.7
Fixed issue where CID, MID, and MAILTO prefix links were being link protected
Added ability to apply Sender or IP policy exemptions to link protect
- Fixed case sensitivity issue in Intent domain exemptions
- Fixed corner case where Admins/Users could view or download some messages blocked for virus
- Fixed issue where Saved Searches with drop-downs were not working
- Fixed issue with exporting ATP log to CSV file
- Fixed the ability to deliver the maximum 200 messages from the message log
What's New in Version 2017.6
TLS support for quarantine notifications
Quarantine notification tracking in the Message Log
Unified inbound/outbound UI scheduling
Updated quarantine notification UI, mobile-friendly UI
- Fixed quarantine notifications display issue for some Office 365 customers
Miscellaneous Stability Improvements and Fixes
- Fix to prevent Quarantine Notification settings in the UI from selecting the wrong tab on page refresh
What's New in Version 2017.5
- Reorganized navigation links
- New Overview tab which contains the Dashboard, Message Log, ATD Log, and Outbound Quarantine sub-tabs
ATP Settings (Formerly known as ATD Settings) has been moved from Inbound Settings to its own tab.
- Renamed Advanced Threat Detection (ATD) to Advanced Threat Protection (ATP)
What's New in Version 2017.4
- Miscellaneous stability improvements and fixes
- Automatic domain verification added to the domains page
- Improved responsiveness in message actions
What's New in Version 2017.3
- New User will get the Domain level/Global level quarantine notification setting
- Auto enable feature for Email Continuity
- When enabled, link protection is applied to blocked/quarantined messages
What's New in Version 2017.2
- Advanced Threat Detection
- Log interface re-designed with support for filtering
- Improvements to link protect functionality
- Miscellaneous stability improvements and fixes
What's New in Version 2017.1
- Domains List
- Redesigned to improve overall user experience
- Domains using domain level settings now have an indicator and can be reverted from the Domains page
- Recipient List
- Number of recipients are now viewable on Dashboard and Domains pages
- List of recipients can now be viewed from Domains page
- Miscellaneous compatibility and performance improvements
- Miscellaneous/stability improvements
What's New in Version 2016.18
- Email Continuity Service
- Added ability to choose sender address presentation from alias/linked accounts when composing, replying, or forwarding
- Progress indicator when sending message
Mail Flow Changes
- Miscellaneous/stability improvements
What's New in Version 2016.17
- Email Continuity Enhancements
Ability to add multiple attachments
Ability to add attachments when forwarding email
When a message is sent, the sender receives a copy of the message
Ability to Reply All and CC through email continuity
What's New in Version 2016.16
- Performance and stability improvements
What's New in Version 2016.15
- Miscellaneous stability/performance improvements
What's New in Version 2016.14
- Miscellaneous stability improvements
- Fixed some cases of ATD exemptions not being applied
What's New in Version 2016.13
- Performance and availability improvements
What's New in Version 2016.12
- Message Log improvements
- ATD Log improvements
- Performance improvements
What's New in Version 2016.11
- View ATD Reports per attachment in the ATD Log
- Admins can now deliver messages blocked for ATD through the Message Log.
- When delivering messages, admin needs to view the reports on blocked attachments before delivery. This provides detailed information about why an attachment was blocked and when a threat was first detected.
- Managed users are now tracked independently for outbound rate limiting
- Link protect system improvements.
- Miscellaneous performance improvements.
What's New in Version 2016.10
- Customers can exempt trusted sender or recipient of an email from ATD scan based on email address, domain, and / or IP address.
- Fixed issue in ATD Log where certain entries remained stuck in Scanning status.
- Improved outbound virus protection.
What's New in Version 2016.9
- Miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes.
What's New in Version 2016.8
What's New in Version 2016.7
- Miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes.
- Outbound message encryption improvements.
- Barracuda Reputation Block List increased efficiency.
- Advanced Threat Detection is now more robust.
What's New in Version 2016.6
What's New in Version 2016.5
- Quarantine notifications now include a direct link to the whitelist action. This enables users to whitelist a sender.
- Stability improvements.
What's New in Version 2016.4
- Resellers can now manage multiple accounts using the pull-down selection in the Barracuda Cloud Control web interface.
- Miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes.
- Ability to scan first and then deliver messages with Advanced Threat Detection (ATD) subscription. Messages will be deferred until the scan has completed if the scan exceeds a certain timeframe.
- Improved processing efficiency.
What's New in Version 2.8.9
Web Interface and Mail Processing
Link Protect – When enabled, automatically rewrites any URL in an email message to a safe Barracuda URL, and then delivers the message. If the user then clicks on that URL, the service evaluates it for validity and reputation. If the domain is determined to be valid, the user is then directed to that website. This feature protects users who click URLs in email messages from being directed to a spoofed website or otherwise revealing private information such as logins, passwords or other sensitive data. Note: Link Protect does not properly protect URLs in plain text messages which lack a character set identifier. See also Anti-Fraud and Anti-Phishing Protection.
Typosquatting Protection – Automatically corrects spelling of domain names that hackers miss-spell by one letter to fool the user into thinking they are visiting a valid site by clicking the URL in an email. In reality, the domain name, misspelled, would direct the user to a phishing site. For example, bankofanerica.com would be re-spelled correctly by the service as bankofamerica.com before the email is delivered to the user to protect them from being directed to a suspicious site.
- Anti-Fraud Intelligence and Intent Domain Policies settings have been moved to the INBOUND SETTINGS > Anti-Phishing page.
- Miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes.
- Documentation updates.
What's New in Version 2.8.8
Advanced Threat Detection (ATD) – The Barracuda Email Security Service now provides access to the subscription-based ATD service. This service analyzes inbound email attachments in a separate, secured cloud environment to detect new threats and determine whether to block such messages. See Understanding Advanced Threat Protection for details.
- Spam accuracy improvements.
What's New in Version 2.8.7
- Stability improvements.
- Web interface improvements.
What's New in Version 2.8.6
- Web interface improvements and fixes.
What's New in Version 2.8.5
- Stability improvements.
- Web interface improvements.
Fixed in Version 2.8.5
- Adding users with an underscore "_" in the email address and other special symbols works as expected. (BNESS-4016)
What's New in Version 2.8.4
What's New in Version 2.8.3
- Improved Dashboard performance. (BNESS-3885)
- Improved handling of message rejection in Outbound Quarantine. (BNESS-3889)
Fixed in Version 2.8.1
- Messages are now deferred if either the virus scanner or Cloudscan are unavailable. (BNESS-3660)
What's New in Version 2.8.0
New Dashboard Page Layout and Features
Threat Origins indicates the geographical region where blocked emails originate.
Top Recipient Domains shows the volume of email received by, and average number of recipients for, each domain.
Traffic Status lets the user know when the last messages were received and delivered.
Subscription details shows when the subscription expires.
Inbound Email Statistics shows various statistics about incoming emails.
Outbound Email Statistics shows various statistics about outgoing emails.
Inbound Top Recipients shows information about the most common recipients.
Outbound Top Senders shows information about the the most common senders.
- Updated domain LDAP documentation.
- Mail sent to a child domain that is not managed by the Barracuda Email Security Service will be delivered to the parent domain if it is managed by the Barracuda Email Security Service.
- Added support for Microsoft Access files in attachment filters.
- Added support for archived Microsoft Office files to attachment filters.
- Added support for archived PDF files to attachment filters.
- Envelope senders with spoofed postmaster address will now be blocked.
Fixed in Version 2.8.0
- Fix for rare occurrences of “duplicate serial” when transferring serials to new accounts. (BNESS-3676)
- Account expiration warning notices now include account information. (BNESS-3449)
What's New in Version 2.7.2
- Scalability and performance improvements:
- Improved web server response time. (BNESS-3491)
- Scalability and performance improvements:
- Improved spam accuracy. (BNESS-3320)
What's New in Version 2.7.1
- 'Empty message' text for tables with the ability to add inline will no longer be displayed. (BNESS-3440)
- Reports can now be exported to CSV format. (BNESS-2779)
- Messages delivered through the Message Log are now marked as UI Delivered. (BNESS-3479)
- Headers of messages contain a virus display. (BNES-2739)
- Ability to use Domain Key Identified Mail (DKIM) for inbound spam blocking. (BNESS-3419, BNESS-3420, BNESS-3426)
Fixed in Version 2.7.1
- Removed Subject tag from Email Categorization setting table. (BNESS-3407)
- Minor behavioral changes to Message / Quarantine logs. (BNESS-3400, BNESS-3357, BNESS-3270)
- Improvements on inherited policy settings. (BNESS-3405)
- General Spam Accuracy improvements. (BNESS-3346)
What's New in Version 2.7.0
- You can click the Add link to add records 'in line' from within tables throughout the web interface. (BNESS-3392)
- Tables can now be sorted by some or all data columns throughout the web interface. (BNESS-3397)
- New INBOUND SETTINGS > Sender Authentication page. On this page you can configure Sender Policy Framework (previously configured on the INBOUND SETTINGS > Anti-Spam/Antivirus page).
- Option to block on missing PTR Records, configured on the INBOUND SETTINGS > Sender Authentication page. (BNESS-3383)
Fixed in Version 2.7.0
- The Saved Searches window now shows all saved searches. (BNESS-2890)
- Layout improvements for tables. (BNESS-3393, BNESS-3394)
- The primary tab will now remain highlighted after a refresh/reload. (BNESS-3164)
- The USERS > Users List page now has a Next Page link at the bottom of the page. (BNESS-3349)
What's New in Version 2.6.2
- Moved location of Save and Cancel buttons in web interface. (BNESS-3307)
- Replaced Help link with a 'question mark' icon ? next to the page title to click for a help pop-up window.
- Added support for "size_lt:" (message size less than <size in bytes>) search. (BNESS-1261)
Fixed in Version 2.6.2
- Improved accuracy of "size_gt:" (message size greater than) search. (BNESS-3277)
- Searching users in linked accounts in Users list works as expected. (BNESS-3329)
- Browser-specific improvements in rendering web interface. (BNESS-3278, BNESS-3279)
- Improved Spam Accuracy. (BNESS-3167)
What's New in Version 2.6.1
- Improved efficiency of Multilevel-Intent. (BNESS-3081)
- Updated the web interface styling for improved look and feel, consistency.
- Improved Self-Service setup wizard. (BNESS-3150)
- Improved LDAP efficiency for authentication. (BNESS-3149)
Fixed in Version 2.6.1
- Improved handling of users' policies (See USERS > Default Policy). (BNESS-2386)
What's New in Version 2.6.0
- Rate Control for inbound mail. This feature protects your mail server from spammers or spam-programs (also known as "spam-bots") that send large amounts of email to the server in a small amount of time. See the INBOUND SETTINGS > Rate Control page to configure.
- Updated the web interface styling for improved look and feel. There are no navigation changes.
- Added support for domain verification via CNAME records or via the technical contact from the WHOIS database. See the DOMAINS page or How to Validate Your Domain.
- Added support for domain verification via the technical contact from the WHOIS database in the Barracuda Email Security Service Setup wizard.
Fixed in Version 2.6.0
- On the OUTBOUND SETTINGS > Notifications page, the Quarantine Sender Notification default setting is No. (BNESS-3043)
- If the admin tries to reject a message in the OUTBOUND QUARANTINE, but has not already filled in the Reject Notification Address field on the OUTBOUND SETTINGS > Notifications page, the error message now provides a link for the admin to click to enter that email address (BNESS-3043)
What's New in Version 2.5.4
- Outbound quarantine support enables administrators to quarantine outbound messages based on policy - see the OUTBOUND SETTINGS > Content Policies page to configure.
- Quarantined messages are moved to an inbox, on the OUTBOUND QUARANTINE page, where the administrator can export, deliver, reject and delete messages in the list. Notification summary emails for quarantined messages can be sent to the administrator immediately, or on a daily or weekly basis. See the OUTBOUND SETTINGS > Notifications page to configure.
- Quarantine notifications to senders of outbound quarantined messages can be enabled by the administrator to indicate that the message has not been delivered, and awaits evaluation by the administrator.
- An NDR (non-delivery report) will be sent to senders of quarantined outbound messages that are rejected by the administrator. See the OUTBOUND SETTINGS > Notifications page to configure.
- With the Barracuda Express Setup, new Barracuda Email Security Service accounts have an updated setup wizard that includes Office 365 configuration.
Fixed in Version in 2.5.4
- Improved message processing. (BNESS-2785)
What's New in Version 2.5.3
- Added support for Perfect Forward Secrecy. (BNESS-2871)
- "Domain Not Found" response now includes IP address. (BNESS-2817)
- Improved recipient verification. (BNESS-2785)
- Improved outbound multi-level policy processing. (BNESS-2851)
- Apply email chain exemptions to bulk email. (BNESS-2869)
- Enhanced documentation regarding encryption for domain settings and for CloudScan settings.
Fixed in Version 2.5.3
- Ability to 'pass through' known cloud archivers for outbound traffic. (BNESS-2865)
- Improved check for adding outbound IP addresses. (BNESS-2765)
- The Whitelist ALL function works as expected on the Quarantined Delivered page. (BNESS-2807)
- The Domain pull-down menu now only displays when necessary. (BNESS-2766)
- Improved domain-level access control. (BNESS-2810, BNESS-2527)
- Increased limits on access to messages that were sent to the Barracuda Message Center (Encryption Service). (BNESS-2792)
- General web interface improvements. (BNESS-2435)
- Fixed rare cases in which some messages were not always listed in the user Quarantine. (BNESS-2864)
What's New in Version 2.5.2
- New cloud-based spam scanning engine, CloudScan, which leverages many of the spam scanning and detection techniques currently available on the Barracuda Spam Firewall appliance, including spam scoring.
- Improved ability to handle long email discussions. (BNESS-2754)
- Improved response times to TLS setting changes. (BNESS-2683)
- Improved handling of URL redirects. (BNESS-2381)
- Improved handling of MX record lookups. (BNESS-2388)
- Additional SPF information added to message headers. (BNESS-2711)
- System-wide sender block policies as put into place by Barracuda are now identified as "System Sender Policies", to distinguish them from sender block policies as configured by administrators. (BNESS-2773)
- Ability to submit categorization requests for previously uncategorized messages. (BNESS-2737)
- Multiple improvements to the Message Log, including to its display and filtering capabilities. (BNESS-847, BNESS-1033, BNESS-2193, BNESS-2340, BNESS-2577, BNESS-2641, BNESS-2692, BNESS-2721)
- Ability to limit synchronization of primary and linked addresses to the current domain. Takes effect starting after the new option on the Directory Services section of the DOMAINS > Domain Manager > Settings page is selected. (BNESS-1798)
- Ability for administrators to initiate password resets for their users. (BNESS-935)
- Multiple improvements to the web interface, including to the handling of entries on the Filters page. (BNESS-990, BNESS-1919, BNESS-2104, BNESS-2394, BNESS-2704, BNESS-2718, BNESS-2720, BNESS-2724, BNESS-2726, BNESS-2733, BNESS-2742, BNESS-2770)
Fixed in Version 2.5.2
- Bulk deletion of users works as expected. (BNESS-2735)
- Repaired report generation. (BNESS-2675)
What's New in Version 2.5.1
Received headers now include TLS information, when appropriate.
- More detail provided for outbound message log entries when inbound side (Barracuda Email Security Service customer) blocks messages based on a DNSBL/RBL.
- Improved Barracuda Message Center user experience.
- New outbound attachment type / extension filter.
- New Whitelist option in users' quarantine confirmation screen.
Fixed in Version 2.5.1
- Improved handling of duplicate emails. (BNESS-2673)
- Improved handling of HTTP queries during intent checks. (BNESS-2681)
- Fixed bug in handling of bulkmail setting. (BNESS-2682)
- Allow content blocks to override defer actions found earlier in intent. (BNESS-2699)
- Improved spam-accuracy around content intent. (BNESS-2700)
- Continue to look for multilevel intent block action even if there is already a Defer action for the message. (BNESS-2701)
- Correctly display default quarantine notification interval for users. (BNESS-1836)
- Ensure deleting linked users when deleting primary user email addresses. (BNESS-1858)
- Prevent creation of users that conflict with existing linked users. (BNESS-2657)
- The Check Archives option works as expected for Inbound Attachment filter. (BNESS-1329)
- Avoid local cache for certain web interface checks of customer DNS. (BNESS-2484)
- Improved user/administrator session handling. (BNESS-2641, BNESS-2702)
- Correct wording in Email Categories web interface elements on the INBOUND SETTINGS > Anti-spam/Antivirus page. (BNESS-2690)
- Improved message rendering. (BNESS-2558, BNESS-2697)
- Improved message log search function. (BNESS-2577)
- Improved Saved Searches function. (BNESS-2644)
- More robust DNS queries. (BNESS-2569)
What's New in Version 2.5
Email Categorization. This feature gives administrators an additional way to decide what to do with various types of emails from senders on the Barracuda Reputation Whitelist. These emails are separated into different categories such as Transactional Emails, Corporate Emails, and Marketing Materials, each of which can have a different delivery action associated with it from the INBOUND SETTINGS > Anti-spam/Antivirus page. See Barracuda Reputation and Email Categorization for more details.
Sender Policy Framework (SPF) Exemptions. You can exempt trusted/known IP addresses from SPF checks by clicking Add Exemption and adding the IP address(es) and associated netmask(s) to the table. Mail from these IP addresses will still be scanned for spam.
- Optional user notification when that user's password is changed by an account or domain admin.
- Saved searches now indicate the search type (inbound, outbound)
Fixed in Version 2.5
- Ability to block a message from the Message Details view. (BNESS-611)
- Ability to exempt IP addresses from SPF checking. (BNESS-2442)
- LDAP test now takes user filter into consideration. (BNESS-2618)
- Improvements to the Request IP Exemption feature on the OUTBOUND SETTINGS > Abuse Monitor page. (BNESS-1317)
- When a domain admin manages multiple domains, the Settings page shows correct information for each domain. (BNESS-2634)
- Domain admins that add a new domain are automatically granted management permissions for that domain. (BNESS-1188)
- Encrypted messages now display only the message headers when viewed from the Message Log and when downloaded. (BNESS-720)
- Redelivery for encrypted messages is now disabled. (BNESS-2076)
- Delivering from a user's quarantine delivers to only that recipient. (BNESS-2589)
- Avoid redelivery of empty messages. (BNESS-2431)
- Now blocking mail with no subject and no body. (BNESS-2626)
- Improved detection of HTTPS URLs in multi-level intent checking. (BNESS-2632)
- Messages blocked due to recipient verification are now logged with action 'Blocked' and reason 'Invalid Recipient'. (BNESS-2645)
- Find (and use) primary account if user logs in with linked account (BNESS-2637)
What's New in Version 2.4.2
- Improved validation of entered data, including for incorrectly-formatted domains and other entries made via bulk edit. (BNESS-943, BNESS-2188, BNESS-2500)
- The USERS > User List page now includes the total number of users, displayed in Results number above the users list. (BNESS-1028)
- Statistics for messages classified as Bulk Email are now included in the Emails Processed by Action section of the BASIC > Status page. (BNESS-2509)
- The Domain level Status page now only displays the information relevant to that domain. (BNESS-1086)
- The User column on the INBOUND SETTINGS > Sender Policies page has been renamed to Sender. (BNESS-1424)
- Added Quarantine Status column to USERS > Users List page for account and domain admins, indicating whether or not each user in the list receives a quarantine digest (e.g. the Quarantine Notification Interval for the user is either Daily, Weekly, Custom or Never). (BNESS-1887)
- The Sender Policy time stamp now reflects the Last Modified Time of that entry. (BNESS-2161)
- The version number at the bottom of the status page now links to this Release Notes page. (BNESS-1869)
- Added a Reason column to the Message Log that indicates why a message had the listed action taken with it. (BNESS-2232)
- A link for each domain within the Top Domains by Volume (30 days) report on the BASIC > Status page now leads to a 30-day Message Log search. (BNESS-856)
- Expanded contents of Exported Logs. (BNESS-1266)
- Quarantined items now show as yellow in the Action column. (BNESS-1760)
Fixed in Version 2.4.2
- Improvements to multilevel intent analysis (BNESS-2533, BNESS-2573)
- Improved LDAP synchronization of user lists (BNESS-2563)
- Improved delivery of New User Welcome Emails.
- Improved scanning of extracted content. (BNESS-2344)
- Restored ability for all users to specify their own Quarantine Notification interval. (BNESS-2574)
- Encryption honored on explicitly allowed messages. (BNESS-2462)
- Addressed rare situation where mail was sent to a domain's A record entry. (BNESS-2572)
- Corrected display of special characters like % and + in recipient addresses in the Message Log. (BNESS-2106)
- Resolved the following vulnerabilities:
- High severity: Unauthenticated; remotely exploitable; account takeover; brute force [BNSEC-3196 / BNESS-2541)
- Medium severity: Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) [BNSEC-2339 / BNESS-2480, BNESS-2542)
What's New in Version 2.4.1
- Trusted Forwarders. Ability to specify one or more IP addresses of machines that you have set up to forward email (i.e. Trusted Forwarders) to the Barracuda Email Security Service from outside sources. The Barracuda Email Security Service exempts any IP address in this list from Rate Control, SPF checks and IP Reputation. In the Received headers, the Barracuda Email Security Service will continue looking beyond a Trusted Forwarder IP address until it encounters the first non-trusted IP address. At this point, Rate Control, SPF checks and IP Reputation checks will be applied. Configure on the INBOUND SETTINGS > IP Address Policies page.
- Sender Policy Framework (SPF) blocking options. When enabling SPF, you must specify one of two options:
BLOCK FAIL - The SPF FAIL (also referred to as Hard Fail) response indicates that the IP address of the message sender does not match the IP address or range of IP addresses specified in the sending domain name's SPF record, and that the real owner of the domain has specifically indicated that such messages should be rejected (blocked) as spoofed.
BLOCK FAIL, SOFTFAIL - The SPF SOFTFAIL response indicates that the message sender's IP address does not match the IP address or range of IP addresses specified in the sending domain name's SPF record. A SOFTFAIL means that the domain owner did not specify how such messages should be handled. Selecting this option means that messages in either the SPF SOFTFAIL or FAIL state are blocked.
- Improved recipient verification process.
- Improved spam accuracy.
- The Blocked action in the Emails processed by action section of the STATUS page now includes the Bulk reason.
- The Date field is now included in the Message Log export file.
- Improved message search performance for related domains.
- Extended medical dictionary (HIPAA) for Predefined Filters (see the OUTBOUND SETTINGS > Content Policies page).
Fixed in Version 2.4.1
- When the sender and recipient domain are both protected by the Barracuda Email Security Service, a blocked message from/to the same domain shows the Reason for the block only in the inbound Message Log. (BNESS-2348)
- On the DOMAINS > Settings page, clicking the Synchronize Now button does not product an error message if the synchronization with the specified LDAP server is successful. (BNESS-1812)
What's New in Version 2.4.0
Dynamic Bulk Email Detection. Enables taking action with messages that contain anything that looks like unsubscribe links or unsubscribe instructions in the message body. Configurable on the INBOUND SETTINGS > Anti-Spam/Antivirus page.
- Option to create exemptions for predefined filters. See the OUTBOUND SETTINGS > Content Policies page.
- Ability to scan more attachment types.
- Added time/date as a filter in Message Log. (BNESS-2407, BNESS-2445)
- Adjusted Action Reasons for increased clarity and consistency, as displayed in Message View details in the Message Log. (BNESS-2185, BNESS-2297)
- Improved rendering of messages, including those with absent or malformed content. (BNESS-2414, BNESS-2446)
- Downloaded messages now include X-BESS-* headers. (BNESS-2420)
- Improved search performance in the Message Log. (BNESS-2449)
- Improved detection of suspect URLs in message body. (BNESS-2443)
- Improved interaction between Trusted Forwarder and Sender Policy Framework (SPF). (BNESS-2459)
What's New in Version 2.3.5
- All messages going through the Barracuda Email Security Service will now be subject to a size limit of 300MB. (BNESS-1082)
- Enhancements to spam detection, including improved URL scanning and handling of embedded URLs.
- Improved support for customer domains that rely on suspect nameservers. (BNESS-2419)
- Improved handling of emails sent to multiple recipients of different suspect domains. (BNESS-2426)
- Improved outbound TLS functionality. (BNESS-2428)
- Ability to search through MIME-encoded From, To, Subject header fields (only for messages received using version 2.3.5 and later). (BNESS-2370)
- Confirmation now required when deleting users. (BNESS-2400)
- "451 possible mail loop" events are now logged. (BNESS-2311)
- Improved performance when displaying information for accounts with a large number of emails. (BNESS-2415)
- Improved display of messages encoded in UTF-8. (BNESS-2418)
- Filtering for aliases (on the USERS > Users List page) is no longer case sensitive. (BNESS-2434)
Fixed in Version 2.3.5
- Handling of emails with lines greater than 990 characters. (BNESS-2187)
- Whitelist function in the Users' Message Log. (BNESS-2408)
What's New in Version 2.3.4
Improved Spam Accuracy
- Enhanced the algorithms for detecting spams in attachments, multi-level intent, and URL detection.
LDAP Support Enhancements
- New User Filter setting in the Directory Services section of DOMAINS > Domain Settings page. This allows the administrator to better manage which accounts should be synced with the LDAP server.
- Ability to disable notifications when adding aliases (linked addresses) to user accounts. (BNESS-2308)
- Support for using CNAMEs in PTR records. IP addresses that resolve to a CNAME record can now be used as an outbound IP address, avoiding lack of Reverse DNS errors. (BNESS-2294)
Fixed in Version 2.3.4
- Message Log
- Various documentation updates. (BNESS-2323, BNESS-2322, BNESS-1005)
- Improved font size consistency in Quarantine Notifications. (BNESS-2325)
- Improved deferral deduplication with multi-recipient messages. (BNESS-2355)
What's New in Version 2.3.3
- Long domain or email address entries do not run into the Policy column. (BNESS-1009)
- The Message Log properly displays large HTML-rich messages. (BNESS-2279)
- The Saved Searches section has been moved to the right of Advanced Filters. (BNESS-2270)
- Improved search performance. (BNESS-946)
Improved description of multilevel/intent action reasons
- URL blocking for Multi-Level Intent is correctly reported. (BNESS-2295)
- Improved rendering of non-English text in Subject and From fields.
- Quarantine Notifications render character encodings as expected. (BNESS-1036), (BNESS-1767)
Fixed in Version 2.3.3
- Length of domain names is now limited. (BNESS-1126)
- When a domain administrator adds a new domain, it is immediately visible in the domain administrator's view. (BNESS-1188)
- Count for graph Emails processed in the last 30 days no longer repeat when the range is 0k - 3k. (BNESS-1026)
- Email notification to alias (Linked) address is no longer blocked when UnManaged Users are set to BLOCK. (BNESS-1098)
- One alias email address cannot be linked to multiple BESS users. (BNESS-2194)
- The Return to Previous Page link in the Printable View works as expected. (BNESS-2272)
- Destination server priority defaults to the current priority instead of 10. (BNESS-2293)
- Selecting (No Content) messages and clicking the SPAM button works as expected. (BNESS-2296)
- Clicking the SPAM button for a selected message does not show the message as Delivered in the Message Log. (BNESS-2305)
- Trying to deliver a blocked message changes the Delivery Status in the Message Log list and in the Message Details page as expected. (BNESS-2315)
- Immediate notification in web interface if an IP address the admin enters is on the BRBL. (BNESS-2206)
- Message Content Filter matching attachments works as expected for PDFs. (BNESS-2115)
- Predefined Filtering blocks PDF attachments containing a valid credit card number, as expected. (BNESS-2170)
- LDAP syncing of user names works as expected, preventing incorrect blocking of legitimate users when UnManaged Users is set to BLOCK. (BNESS-2286)
- When a message includes a domain which indicates suspicious intent, then Multi-Level Intent correctly defers the message instead of blocking it. (BNESS-2300)
- The IP address owner is correctly identified when applying outbound rate control. (BNESS-2317)
What's New in Version 2.3.2
- Enhancements to the Message Log functionality including:
- Sender's email address is now displayed in the From column instead of display name. (BNESS-2212)
- Resizable columns. (BNESS-1825)
- Message preview pane, which can be configured for location on the screen or can be turned off.
- Double clicking on a message now opens a new web page.
- Ability to edit Mail Server configuration. (BNESS-1856)
- Ability to define action (Defer, Block, Quarantine, or No Action) on Multi-Level Intent scanning from the INBOUND SETTINGS > Anti-Spam/Antivirus page. (BNESS-2247)
- Ability to print Message Log & Help screens. (BNESS-2251)
- Support for multiple Barracuda Cloud Control accounts. (BNESS-2264)
Fixed in Version 2.3.2
- Ensure duplicate entries are not being created (BNESS-987) E
- Email addresses that have underscores work as expected. (BNESS-2216)
- Ensure rate control is applied even to trusted forwarders. (BNESS-2215)
- PTR records are cached correctly. (BNESS-2143)