Static routes allow you to carefully manage how outgoing network traffic is directed from the Barracuda Load Balancer ADC. There are a variety of reasons you might want to configure static routes depending on the scale and topology of your network.
The following scenarios describe some instances where you might want to configure static routes:
Configure specific routes to reach a particular network. For the following example, you need to reach the 10.1.0.0/16 network through interface ge-1-1:
Configure interface ge-1-1 with IP Address 10.1.0.1/16.
- Configure the Netmask as 255.255.0.0.
Configure the 10.2.0.1 as the Gateway Address for interface ge-1-1.
Configure a default gateway for network traffic on an interface of Barracuda Load Balancer ADC. A default gateway acts to handle all network traffic transiting the interface. For example:
Configure interface ge-1-1 with IP Address 0.0.0.0.
Configure the Netmask as 0.0.0.0.
Adding a Static Route
To add a static route navigate to the NETWORK > Routes page and complete the following steps:
- In the Add Static Route section, select the IP Protocol Version. It can be either IPv4 or IPv6.
- Specify the IP Address for the destination. If you want this route to apply to any destination IP address, specify 0.0.0.0.
- Specify the Netmask for the destination network. If you want this route to apply to all destination sub-networks, specify 0.0.0.0.
- Specify the Gateway Address, the IP address for the network gateway, the device that allows the Barracuda Load Balancer ADC to reach the destination.
- Select the Network Interface. This is the interface on the Barracuda Load Balancer ADC on which you want to add the static route.
- (Optional) Add a comment describing the purpose for the static route.
- Click Save. The route appears in the Configured Routes table.
Configured Routes Table
You can view any configured static routes in the Configured Routes table. Each static route is listed under its assigned interface.
To delete a static route, click the trash-can icon in the Options column for the route.