This article refers to Barracuda Message Archiver Legacy Release firmware or higher, and Microsoft Exchange Server 2013, 2016, or 2019.
This template is a based on a typical onsite deployment of the Barracuda Message Archiver with Microsoft Exchange Server 2013, 2016, or 2019 using either Standard or Premium journaling. This template describes the initial Barracuda Message Archiver setup for this deployment.
You must have configuration access to the Exchange environment, and the ability to make firewall changes, if deemed necessary.
Physical Installation and Console Configuration
Physically install the Barracuda Message Archiver using the following steps:
- Fasten the Barracuda Message Archiver to a 19-inch rack or place it in a stable location.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from the network switch to the Ethernet port on the back of the Barracuda Message Archiver.
- Connect a standard VGA monitor, PS2 or USB keyboard, and an AC power cord to the Barracuda Message Archiver.
- Press the Power button on the front panel to turn the unit on.
- Log into the console using admin/admin, and configure the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS Server, and Secondary DNS Server as appropriate for your network.
If the Barracuda Message Archiver is located behind a corporate firewall, open the following ports on the firewall to ensure proper operation:
|22 and 8788||Out||Yes||No||Remote diagnostics and service recommended (1)|
Email and bounces (25 inbound may be necessary for some deployments)
|53||Out||Yes||Yes||Domain Name Service (DNS) recommended|
|80 and 443||Out||Yes||No||Virus, Policy, and Document Definition updates|
|123||In/Out||No||Yes||Network Time Protocol (NTP) recommended|
(1) Access via Port 22 is required only if Barracuda Networks Technical Support is requested.
Complete the following steps to activate and configure the Barracuda Message Archiver:
- In the browser address bar type
http://followed by the Barracuda Message Archiver IP address, followed by the default web interface HTTP Port
- Use the login credentials admin/admin.
- In the web interface, the activation warning displays:
- Click on the link to open the Product Activation page, fill in the required fields, and click Activate. The activation process may take up to 15 minutes. A confirmation page displays the terms of your subscription, and the subscription status displays as Activated on the BASIC > Status page.
- Go to ADVANCED > Firmware Update page, and download and apply the latest General Release; allow the system to reboot.
Basic and Administration Setup
- Once the system reboots, log back into the web interface.
- Go to the BASIC > IP Configuration tab, and enter the configuration settings including external access configuration and default hostname. In the External Access Configuration and Domain Configuration sections, complete the following steps; do not click Save until you complete both of the following sub steps:
In the External Access Configuration section, specify the protocol, and enter the FQDN of your Barracuda Message Archiver for example, archiver.mydomain.com, and enter the port number.
- In the Domain Configuration section, enter the domains. Note that depending on your environment these may match the FQDN or may be internally registered names:
- Click Save once you have completed both of the preceding bullet points.
- In the Local Domains section, include all domains from which to accept mail for archive to identify internal and external email:
Click Add to add the domain to the list, and then click Save.
- Go to the BASIC > Administration page, and configure access, management, and default display settings. For more information, refer to the article How to Configure Administrative Settings.
Configure Envelope Journaling
To enable SMTP forwarding and set up journaling, complete the steps described in the associated article based on your deployment:
- How to Configure Envelope (SMTP) Journaling for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and Newer - Standard Journaling
- How to Configure Envelope (SMTP) Journaling for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and Newer - Premium Journaling
Configure Exchange Integration Operations
- Log into the Barracuda Message Archiver web interface, and go to the Mail Sources > Exchange Integration page.
- Click Start New Action to open the workflow, and select the type of action to perform on the Exchange Server; the Select Server page displays.
- In the Select Server page, click Add New Server. Enter the Exchange Server details, set Exchange 2013 to Yes, and enter the Advanced Options details.
- Click Save to add the server, and then click Continue.
- The Configure Action page displays. Use this page to customize the action, and then click Continue.
The View Summary page displays the Exchange Server action details. Click Simulate Action to perform a preview of the selected action on the Exchange Server. This looks for and identifies the items meeting the specified criteria without actually executing any actions on those messages. All items that meet the specified criteria are listed in the Activity Log for that operation, but no actual content on the Exchange Server is modified. Once you click Simulate Action, an entry is added to the Recent Actions table. Click the Report link to review the results for the operation. All submitted operations are added to the Recent Actions list, with the most recent ones at the top.
Click Submit to add the action to the Scheduled Actions table and close the workflow.