This article refers to Barracuda Message Archiver Legacy Release firmware or higher, and Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 SP1 with shared or delegate mailboxes.
Shared Mailbox Support – Auto-Mapping Enabled
Shared mailbox support is easily available when auto-mapping is enabled.
If auto-mapping is not enabled, use the following PowerShell command:
- Log in to the Exchange 2010 Server with an account that is authorized to use PowerShell.
- On the Server, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows PowerShell > Windows PowerShell.
- Run the following command in Remote PowerShell:
Add-MailboxPermission "Shared Mailbox" -User "User"
Where Shared Mailbox is the shared mailbox name, and User is the name of the user to which you wish to assign permissions.
- Auto-mapping is now enabled.
Shared Mailbox Support – Auto-Mapping Disabled
The Barracuda Message Archiver determines shared mailbox details through AD look-ups. The Exchange auto-mapping feature (Exchange 2010 SP1 and higher) automatically populates the required AD attributes. If auto-mapping is disabled on the Exchange Server, the Exchange Administrator can manually populate the needed AD entries. Use the following rules when setting up your Exchange Server/AD workflow.
The Barracuda Message Archiver supports shared mailboxes when one of the following is true:
- A user is assigned full access permissions to another mailbox via the Exchange Management Console. This action populates the LDAP attributeMSExchDelegateListLink, and is used to determine shared mailbox access.
- A user is assigned delegate access to another mailbox via Outlook. This action populates the LDAP attribute PublicDelegates, and is used to determine shared mailbox access.
Conversely, the Barracuda Message Archiver does not support shared mailboxes if Send As permissions are enabled from the Exchange Management Console. This action does not populate any LDAP fields, preventing the Barracuda Message Archiver from determining shared mailbox access.
When a user searches for emails in the Barracuda Message Archiver web interface, Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook, or through a Barracuda Message Archiver Mobile Application, the search results include emails from both the user's mailbox as well as all mailboxes shared with that user.