This article refers to the Barracuda Message Archiver firmware 5.2 or higher, and the Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook version 5.2 or higher. Archive Search for Outlook supports Outlook versions 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019.
ADMX files require Windows Server 2008 or higher. For details on using ADMX files with earlier versions of Windows Server, see the Microsoft TechNet article Managing Group Policy ADMX Files Step-by-Step Guide.
Verify the Archive Search for Outlook version (available for download on the USERS > Client Downloads page in the Barracuda Message Archiver web interface) is the same major revision as the Barracuda Message Archiver firmware for proper functionality.
Archive Search for Outlook is not supported on the Microsoft App Store version of Outlook.
The language for Archive Search for Outlook options is determined by your Microsoft Office installation locale; supported languages include:
- DE - German
- EN - US English
- ES - Spanish (Continental)
- FR - French
- IT - Italian
- JP - Japanese
- NL - Dutch
- PL - Polish
- CN - Chinese
Step 1. Install the Deployment Kit
Use the following steps to install the Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook Deployment Kit:
- Log into the Barracuda Message Archiver as an administrator.
- Navigate to the USERS > Client Downloads page, and click Archive Search for Outlook Deployment Kit to download the BMAOutlookAddInDeploy.msi file.
- Run the.msi file to launch the Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook Deployment Kit Wizard:
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install the deployment kit.
- On the Domain Controller, copy all ADMX files to the C:\Windows\SYSVOL\$Domain\Policies\PolicyDefinitions directory, where $Domain is your domain, and copy all ADML files to the appropriate sub-directories. For more information, refer to the Microsoft TechNet article Managing Group Policy ADMX Files Step-by-Step Guide.
Step 2. Configure Archive Search for Outlook
Start the Group Policy (GPO) Editor for the domain where you will be installing Archive Search for Outlook. You can edit the default policy or create a new policy object and link it to the desired container, for example, the particular OU containing the computers of users that will be using Archive Search for Outlook.
In the GPO Editor, navigate to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Barracuda\Message Archiver, expand the Archive Search for Outlook node, and click Archiving Service.
- Double-click the Barracuda Message Archiver policy, and select Enabled.
- The Options section displays the fully qualified URI that Outlook users are to use to access the Barracuda Message Archiver:
Note the following:
- If users will be accessing the Barracuda Message Archiver from outside the local network, the URI must be externally accessible.
- If you have changed the HTTPS port on your Barracuda Message Archiver, include the port number in the URI, for example,
- By default users can enter a different URL to connect to other than one specified here; turn on Require Users to Use Configured URL to disable this field and enforce usage of the specified URL.
Click Apply. Configure other settings as required, and then click OK to configure the policy. For an explanation of the available settings, click the Extended tab in the policy.
Step 3. Deploy the MSI File
If you do not already have a network share for GPO software deployment, you must create one. The share must be accessible from all of the machines on which the software is to be deployed. The permissions for the share must give read access to the "Everyone" group, and the permissions for the underlying NTFS folder must give read access to the "Authenticated Users" group.
- Copy the .msi file(s) to the share you created in the previous step.
Open the GPO Editor for the organization that is to use Archive Search for Outlook, for example, the default domain policy.
Either edit the default policy, or create a new policy object, then link it to the desired container. For example, the particular OU containing the computers on which the tool is to be installed.
In the GPO Editor, navigate to Computer Configuration > Policies > Software Settings > Software Installation:
- Right-click Software Installation, point to New, and click Package:
- Enter the UNC path to the .msi file located in the shared folder. For example, enter: \\fileserver\deploy
- Click Open. In the Deploy Software dialog box, click Assigned:
- Click OK. The policy displays in the GPO Editor window:
Deploy Archive Search for Outlook to Machines with 64-bit Windows and 32-bit Outlook
If any of the machines in your environment have a 64-bit version of Windows installed but are using a 32-bit version of Outlook, you must deploy the 32-bit MSI to these machines. If you are also deploying the 64-bit MSI for machines with both 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Outlook, both software deployment policies will apply to the machines with 32-bit Outlook, which will result in both MSIs being installed on these machines.
- In the GPO Editor, navigate to Computer Configuration > Policies > Software Settings, and click Software Installation.
- Right-click 32-bit Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook, and click Properties.
- Click the Deployment tab, and click Advanced. In the Advanced deployment options section, select Make this 32-bit X86 application available to Win64 machines:
- Click OK. In the Properties dialog box, click Apply, and click OK to save your settings and close the dialog box.
Test the Deployment
Complete the following steps to test the Archive Search for Outlook deployment.
- Restart a computer that is joined to the domain.
- Verify that the tool is installed when you log in and that the configured policies are applied.
Once the MSI file is successfully deployed, send the Archive Search for Outlook access details to your users. For additional resources, refer to the following Campus articles:
- How to Search and Archive Messages Using Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook
Following is a list of troubleshooting tips:
- A common cause of failure is that the user and/or the user's computer does not have adequate access to the share location. Verify that all access and network privileges are configured appropriately.
- Verify you are running the latest Barracuda Message Archiver firmware and Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook client versions.
- Verify that the software deployment policy defined in Step 3. Deploy the MSI File was created for computers, not users, and that Assigned was selected in the Deploy Software dialog box.
- Additional error messages are available in the Event Log on the domain computer; if you do not find the desired information in the Event Log, consider enabling verbose logging and restarting the computer.
- For additional information on fixing Group Policy issues, see Microsoft TechNet article Fixing Group Policy problems by using log files.