This article refers to the Barracuda Message Archiver firmware 5.2 or higher, and Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook version 5.2 or higher. Archive Search for Outlook supports Outlook versions 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019.
Verify the Archive Search for Outlook version (available for download on the USERS > Client Downloads page in the Barracuda Message Archiver web interface) is the same major revision as the Barracuda Message Archiver firmware for proper functionality.
Archive Search for Outlook is not supported on the Microsoft App Store version of Outlook.
Archive Search for Outlook allows you to perform various functions with messages that are stored on your organization's Barracuda Message Archiver, including:
- Synchronization of your archived folders with Outlook
- Search for archived messages and other Microsoft Outlook data, such as Contacts
- View and interact with (forward, reply to, etc.) all of your archived Outlook items
- Access stubbed attachments
- Archive messages
These functions are available directly from within Outlook, allowing transparent access to your messages and attachments, all with no browser interaction required. All that is needed is a network connection to your organization's mail server and to the Barracuda Message Archiver.
The language for Archive Search for Outlook options is determined by your Microsoft Office installation locale; supported languages include:
- ES-Spanish (Continental)
As the Barracuda Message Archiver administrator, you can deploy Archive Search for Outlook for both 32- and 64-bit versions of Outlook. For more information, refer to the Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook Deployment Guide.
Individual users can install the Outlook in the following way:
Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook Installer – Go to the USERS > Client Downloads page, and click Download Now to download an executable for installing the tool on a system to enable access to the Barracuda Message Archiver directly from inside either a 32- or 64-bit version of Outlook.
Install Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook
- Log in to the Barracuda Message Archiver.
- If you are an administrator, navigate to the USERS > Client Downloads page, and click Download Now to the right of the installer name to download the executable file to your local system.
- If you are a user, navigate to the BASIC > Client Downloads page, and click Download Now to the right of the installer name to download the executable file to your local system.
- Run the .exe file to launch the Barracuda Archive Search for Outlook Setup Wizard.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install Archive Search for Outlook.
Configure Archive Search for Outlook
- Log in to Outlook, and go to File > Barracuda Networks:
- Click Configure. The configuration dialog box displays:
- Click Log On. In the dialog box, select Barracuda Message Archiver, and enter your Barracuda Message Archiver URI, for example:
- Enter your Email Address and associated domain (LDAP) Password:
- Click OK.
In the Archive Stores section, click Add to retrieve Archive stores (Mailboxes) you have access to; once retrieved, the Mailbox Sync Options dialog box displays. Specify the desired synchronization settings:
In the Optional Features section, select the options you want to enable:
- Select Check for updates automatically to automatically update Archive Search for Outlook.
Select Enable Outlook Instant Search integration to search in your Outlook search box based on All Mailboxes or All Outlook Items.
- In the Message Stubbing section, specify message stubbing options:
- Select Automatically stub attachments when archiving to allow all messages containing attachments to be stubbed when an email is manually archived through Archive Search for Outlook Archive () icon.
- Select Enable offline access to store a copy of stubbed attachments locally on your system. Specify the associated options:
- Maximum size of cache (in MB) – Select maximum amount of disk space, specified in megabytes (MB), on your local computer to use for caching stubbed attachments
- Maximum age of messages to include (days) – Select the maximum age (number of days) of mail to be copied to the local workstation's stub cache
Synch Offline Stubs Now – Click to initiate a connection to the Barracuda Message Archiver to update your local cache of stubbed messages immediately instead of waiting for the next scheduled synchronization
Click OK to complete the configuration.
Once you complete the configuration, Outlook automatically remembers your login credentials and there is no need to enter this information again. If you forget your password or are unable to access Archive Search for Outlook, contact your system administrator.
Change the URI (Location)
If you need to change the location of your Barracuda Message Archiver, first contact your system administrator for the correct URI, and then use the following steps.
- Log in to Outlook, and go to File > Barracuda Networks.
In the Barracuda Message Archiver Options dialog box, click Change to display the dialog box:
- Replace the Barracuda Message Archiver URI with the new location provided by your system administrator, for example:
If your email address or password has changed, enter your email address and password in the associated fields.
- Click OK. Outlook automatically remembers your login credentials.
Attachment and Whole-Message Stubbing
Message stubbing options are defined by the Barracuda Message Archiver administrator on the MAIL SOURCES > Exchange Integration page.
When a message attachment is stubbed, the attachment is removed from the message and is replaced with an attachment indicator and a link to the preserved attachment:
When an entire message is stubbed, the message body is replaced with a text excerpt and contains a link to the original message:
Message Stubbing Options
Use the Barracuda Message Archiver Options dialog box to specify message stubbing options.
Automatically Stub Attachments when Archiving
This option allows all messages containing attachments to be stubbed when a user manually archives an email through Archive Search for Outlook Archive () icon. All attachments are still accessible directly from within the actual message; the only difference is that the attachment itself is stored on the Barracuda Message Archiver instead of your organization's Outlook server. Click on the attachment name to view and download the attachment directly from the Barracuda Message Archiver to your local system.
Enable Caching of Stubbed Messages for Offline Access
This option allows a copy of stubbed attachments to be stored locally on your system. This allows you to retrieve the attachment when you do not have direct access to the Barracuda Message Archiver.
Maximum Age of Messages to Include (Days)
Maximum age (number of days) of mail that will be copied to the local workstation's stub cache.
Maximum Size of Cache (in MB)
Use this option to specify the maximum amount of disk space, specified in megabytes (MB), on your local computer to use for caching stubbed attachments. When the cache is full, the oldest items in the cache are removed from your local system in order until there is enough space for the newest items. Note that these attachments are still stored on, and accessible from, the Barracuda Message Archiver.
Synchronize Cache Now
When selected, initiates a connection to the Barracuda Message Archiver to update your local cache of stubbed messages immediately instead of waiting for the next scheduled synchronization (as determined by your system administrator).
For example, if you are accustomed to downloading your messages from your mail server before leaving on a road trip, you can synchronize your cache immediately to ensure that any attachments associated with your messages can always be retrieved.
Restore Stubbed Content to Microsoft Exchange
To restore stubbed content to your Microsoft Exchange Server, click the Restore () icon in the Outlook toolbar. When clicked, the selected stub content is restored to the Exchange Server and persists on the Server for 30 days.
When items are syncing, a system tray icon displays until synchronization is complete. When synchronization is successful and is scheduled, there is no notification and no further action is needed. However, if a problem is encountered, or if the user clicks the Sync Archive Stores () icon on the toolbar, a tooltip displays additional information.
Store synchronization occurs when either the user clicks the Sync Archive Stores () icon, after nightly synchronization jobs are complete, or shortly after Outlook is started.
Manual Folder Content Synchronization
To manually synchronize all folder content on the Barracuda Message Archiver, click the Sync Archive Stores () icon in the Outlook toolbar.