This article refers to Barracuda Message Archiver Legacy Release firmware or higher.
This article applies to Barracuda Message Archiver Vx and Microsoft Hyper-V 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, and 2016.
Use the OVF file ending in -5x.ovf for this hypervisor.
- Go to https://barracuda.com, and select Message Archiver from the Products drop-down menu.
- Click Models/Editions, and select Virtual from the Deployment options drop-down menu.
- Click Free Eval Unit or Purchase, fill out the form, and submit your request.
- An email is sent to the specified email address.
Follow the instructions in the email to download and extract the Barracuda Message Archiver Vx .zip archive to a location that can be accessed from a machine running Hyper-V.
- In Hyper-V Manager, right-click your VM host and select Import Virtual Machine, and then click Next:
- Navigate to the HyperV folder within the extracted BarracudaMessageArchiver-vm<version>-fw<firmware>-<version-date>-hyperv folder; click Next.
- Select the virtual machine to import:
- Click Next. Select the import type as Copy the virtual machine (create a new unique ID):
- Click Next. Select the default location for configuration files, storage, and network settings for VHD, or define custom settings, and then click Next.
- Click Finish. Before booting the virtual machine, expand the virtual disk settings and define memory and processor settings.
- Select the Barracuda Message Archiver disk under IDE Controller 0, and click Edit:
Click Next and select Expand:
For disks larger than 2TB, refer to this guide from Microsoft and follow the steps to convert your VHD volume to a VHDX volume.
Click Next. Enter the size of your new disk based on the following table:
Model Storage Capacity 150 Vx 500 GB 350 Vx 2 TB 450 Vx 4 TB 650 Vx 8 TB 850 Vx 18 TB 950 Vx 28 TB 1050 Vx 66 TB
- Click Finish. The Barracuda Message Archiver Vx installation is performed on the machine:
- Hyper-V is notified that the VHD file needs to be expanded; a prompt to expand the disk displays during installation:
Activate the Virtual Appliance
- Access the configuration menu using the credentials admin / admin, and specify network settings to activate the virtual machine:
- Enter the unique token provided by Barracuda to activate the Vx appliance:
- Once you save the settings, the appliance is provisioned and requires a restart to finish activation: