All Barracuda Message Archivers attempting to using IMAP with IBM Notes Mail Journal 6.5, 7.0, and 8.02.
The following solution is based on third party information and is not officially endorsed by Barracuda Networks.
- Notes has already been configured to use Mail Journaling to a local database and a special IBM Notes account has been set up for the Message Archiver.
- The Mail Journal file is using the default name of mialjm.nsf. If not, please substituted the actual name when mailjm.nsf is referenced in this solution.
- A special IBM Notes account has been created to allow the Barracuda Message Archiver to connect to IBM Notes. In this document, the account name will be BarracudaMessageArchiver.
Please substitute the actual name when BarracudaMessageArchiver is reference in this solution.
- These instructions were tested with Notes 8.02, but the same technique should also work with Notes 6.5 and 7.0.
Theory of Operation:
The Notes IMAP interface is designed to allow a user access to their mail file via the IMAP interface. In order to get access to the mailjm.nst file it is necessary to make mailjm.nsf the BarracudaMessageArchiver user?s email database. Fortunately the Message Archiverdatabase template is based on the standard mail archive template and only requires a few changes to allow IMAP to work.
There are two changes:
1) Adding in folders that IMAP expects.
2) Digging logic to copy all messages to the inbox folder (which is what IMAP reads).
Verify that Journaling is capturing email messages and that the journal file mailjm.nsf can be opened when logged into the Notes Client with the BarraucdaMessageArchiver account.
1. IMAP enable the journal file mailjm.nsf by running the following command at the Notes Console: load conver ?e mailjm.nsf
2. Load Notes Designer.
3. Load the journal database/application into Designer.
4. Expand the bookmark for the mailjm database and click on the folder item.
5. IMAP requires the presence of the ?Sent Items? and ?Drafts? folders. If these folders are not present, add them using the ?New Folder? button.
6. In the resulting dialog box, type the folder name ?Sent Items? and click the OK button. Repeat this process for ?Drafts? and any other desired folders. Create the agent that will copy all messages to the inbox folder so that IMAP can access them.
7. On the left hand menu, expand the ?Shared Code? section then click on Agents.
8. Click the New Agent button to bring up a new tab with a dialog box.
9. Name the agent Barracuda Message Archiver Copy to Inbox and add a comment if it is desired. In the Runtime section, set the environment to ?After Documents are created or modified.?
10. Dismiss the dialog box by clicking on the X at the top right hand corner. Once clicked, the Agent tab will be displayed.
11. In the right hand pane on the line that starts with ?Run? switch from LotusScript to ?Simple Action.? You will be warned that ?Existing data will be lost. Do you want to continue?? Click the Yes button.
12. At the bottom of the right hand pane there will be an ?Add Action? button. Click the button to bring up the dialog box.
13. Change the Action to ?Copy to Folder? and select ?Inbox? in the ?Copy documents to folder?.? list.
14. Click the Add button if the ?Copy documents to folder?? window lists: Inbox, Trash, Junk, Drafts, and Sent Items.
15. The Agent tab will return.
16. Close the Agent window and click the ?Yes? button when prompted to save the changes.
17. Domino Designer can be closed at this point. From Domino Administrator or the Domino Client, open the Name and Address Book Entry for the BarracudaMessageArchiver account from an account that has rights to edit the entries.
18. Click on Edit Person to put the document into Edit Mode.
19. In the mail section, note the current value of ?mail file? and then change it from its existing name (typically mail\maildatabasename) to mailjm (note there is no mail folder in front of the name).
20. Save and close the document. Verify the Access Control List
21. From the Domino Administrator?s file tab, or from the Domino Client, make sure the Access Control List entries for the BarracudaMessageArchiver account on mailjm.nsf file has the same privileges as the BarracudaMessageArchiver account on the original mail database. ? Note: To get to the settings in Domino Administrator, right click on the file then select Access Control ? Manage? Note: the BarracudaMessageArchiver account may need to be added to mailjm.nsf using the Add?Button. This completes the changes.
22. Use an email application that supports IMAP and verify that the BarracudaMessageArchiver account can be read and the inbox contains records from the mail archive file. Note that the agent within the mailjnp.nsf file does not run immediately when there is a new message added; it is run on the schedule specified by the Domino Server (default is every 30 minutes, with a minimum of every 5 minutes). The agent can be forced to run using the Domino Console command: tell amgr run mailjpn.nsf ?Barracuda Message Archiver Copy to Inbox?
Link to This Page: