PST Enterprise requires the use of a Microsoft SQL Server instance as per the prerequisites. A database is created in this SQL instance for the PST Enterprise configuration data and stores information about the discovered PST files. When installing PST Enterprise, you must specify whether to use an existing SQL Server instance or to install a SQL Express 2008 R2 instance on the PST Enterprise server. If you choose to install a SQL Express instance using the PST Enterprise installer and you encounter an issue during installation, you may be presented with one of the following messages:
- The Barracuda instance of SQL Express installation failed
- Failed to start SQL installer exe
If you encounter one or more of these errors, use the following steps to resolve the issue:
- Ensure that the PST Enterprise server meets the Step 1 - System Requirements and the Microsoft Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2008 R2.
If the SQL Express automated installation fails, manually download and install a version of SQL Express following Microsoft TechNet, for example, Installing SQL Server 2008 R2.
The SQL Server Database Engine Services component is required. It is also recommended that you install the Management Tools component for ease of administration.
It is recommended that you add the PST Enterprise service account (and any other user accounts required to administrate the SQL instance) as a SQL administrator during installation. This can be done on the Database Engine Configuration step from the Account Provisioning tab.
- Once the SQL Express instance is installed, confirm you can access the instance from SQL Management Studio as the PST Enterprise service account.
- Re-run the PST Enterprise installation specifying the manually installed SQL instance.
- If you are unable to proceed with the installation, click Save Log on the installer to collect the installation logs, or manually collect the log files from C:\PSTEnterpriseInstallLogs, and contact Support for assistance.