The Barracuda Web Security Agent is supported for the Barracuda Web Security Gateway 410 and higher.
You can download the files required to install the Barracuda WSA for Windows or Macintosh and configure how it filters traffic for your remote users via the ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page in the Barracuda Web Security Gateway web interface.
Figure 1: The Barracuda WSA proxies off-network users’ web traffic to the Barracuda Web Security Gateway.
Installing the Barracuda WSA
See How to Install the Barracuda WSA with the Barracuda Web Security Gateway for information on installing the Barracuda WSA on a Windows machine or a Macintosh OSX machine. Then, continue with the section below to configure the agent during and after installation.
- If you are installing on a Windows machine, please read the Release Notes - Barracuda Web Security Agent for Windows.
Configuring Settings for the Barracuda WSA
All of the following settings, except for Policy Lookup Only Mode, can be configured from the Barracuda WSA client using the Configuration tool. The tool exposes the same settings that are configured from the administrative web interface of the Barracuda Web Security Gateway ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page.
However, each Sync event synchronizes the Barracuda WSA settings to those configured on the Barracuda Web Security Gateway ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page. A sync event is triggered by any of the following:
- User logging into Barracuda WSA
- A network change
- On the Macintosh client - Clicking the Synchronize Settings button in the WSA Preferences; on the Windows client - clicking on the Barracuda WSA icon in the task tray and selecting Sync to update local settings
For more information about the Configuration tool, see:
- For Windows: Configuration Tool for Barracuda WSA Windows Client 4.x or Configuration Tool for Barracuda WSA Windows Client 5.0 and Above
- For Mac: Configuring Preferences for Barracuda WSA Macintosh Client.
Exceptions to Filtering with the Barracuda WSA
From the ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page, you can specify domains or subnets that should bypass filtering by the Barracuda Web Security Gateway as well as any existing proxies on the client’s LAN for which traffic should bypass filtering.
Begin initial configuration of your Barracuda WSA installation by identifying all of your internal IP addresses and proxies, then entering those in the Bypass Filter and Proxy Exception text boxes on the ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page. This will exempt these IP addresses from traffic redirection. If you have a PAC or WPAD driven proxy setup, ensure that the proxy hosts are also listed as Proxy Exceptions. Also make sure to identify the external IP address of your Barracuda Web Security Gateway in the External Hostname/IP field so that the Barracuda WSA can direct user web traffic to that IP address.
Application Filtering with the Barracuda WSA
The Barracuda WSA automatically forwards web browser traffic on all ports, and forwards traffic from all other applications on ports 80 and 443. On the ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page you can specify how the Barracuda WSA filters application traffic by default (Default Filter Settings):
- Filter ports 80 and 443 for all applications
- Filter specified applications and allow all others
- Filter specified applications and block all others
If you have specific applications that use other ports, you can add them to the Applications to Filter (All Ports) list on the ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page. You can also list specific applications to always block, or specific applications to filter.
Using SSL Inspection for HTTPS Traffic With the Barracuda WSA
To filter and inspect HTTPS traffic such as Facebook posts, Google search terms, Skype chat and other encrypted traffic at the URL level, you can enable the SSL Inspection feature on the Barracuda Web Security Gateway.:
- Go to the ADVANCED > SSL Inspection page to enable SSL Inspection. Follow instructions in the page to create, upload or use the default certificate, and then install it in the browsers of all remote machines running the Barracuda WSA.
- Synchronize the Barracuda WSA client on all remote machines:
- On Windows clients: click on the Barracuda WSA icon in the task tray. Sync Settings to synchronize the client with the new setting on the Barracuda Web Security Gateway.
- On Macintosh clients: From the context menu, select WSA Preferences. On the Barracuda Web Security Gateway tab, click the Synchronize Settings button.
Note that, when SSL inspection is configured ON the Barracuda Web Security Gateway, Policy Lookup Only Mode must be set to No on the ADVANCED > Remote Filterinng page. For more information about SSL Inspection, see Using SSL Inspection With the Barracuda Web Security Gateway.