Backing Up and Restoring Your System Configuration
The ADVANCED > Backup page lets you back up and restore the configuration of your Barracuda Web Security Gateway. You should back up your system on a regular basis in case you need to restore this information on a replacement Barracuda Web Security Gateway or in the event your current system data becomes corrupted. Barracuda recommends also making a second backup method and storage location as a preventative measure.
If you are restoring a backup file on a new Barracuda Web Security Gateway that is not yet configured, you first need to assign your new system an IP address and DNS information on the BASIC > IP Configuration page. Note the following about the backup file:
- Do not edit backup files. Any configuration changes you want to make need to be done via the web interface. The configuration backup file contains a checksum that prevents the file from being uploaded to the system if any changes are made.
- The firmware version running on the system when the backup file was generated should match the firmware version on the system you are restoring onto. If it does not match, you will see a warning at the top of the page when you attempt to restore.
- The backup of the configuration includes most global (system-wide) and domain settings, along with all user account information. However, the following are NOT included in this type of backup:
- System password
- SSL certificates
- All settings on the following pages:
BASIC > IP Configuration, including:
- System IP address
- Proxy system password
- ADVANCED > Appearance, including logos (**)
- ADVANCED > Linked Management (**)
- BASIC > IP Configuration, including:
(**) Applicable only for models that support this feature.
Restoring a Backup
Restoring a backup simply requires browsing your local system with the click of a button on the ADVANCED > Backup page and selecting a backup file. Click the Help button on that page for details about restoring backups. Please note that restoring a backup will overwrite the current configuration.