This solution applies to the Barracuda Web Security Gateway 410 and higher running firmware version 12.x and higher.
When to use Google Directory Services
For all Chromebook deployments, when using the Barracuda Chromebook Security Extension, configure Google Directory Services as the authentication service the Barracuda Web Security Gateway will use to apply policies to Chromebook users and groups. Make sure to configure the Chromebook extension for your users on the ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page. See How to Get and Configure the Barracuda Chromebook Security Extension for details on configuration.
Requirements for using a Google Directory Services
Before you integrate with Google Directory Services, do the following:
- Make sure you or your organization has a Google account with read access to Google Directory Services.
- Edit the hosts file on the machine you use to log into and configure the Barracuda Web Security Gateway:
- For Windows: Open a text editor that does not add extra characters and edit the hosts file, which is located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
- For Unix/Linux/MacOS : Edit the hosts file, which is located in /etc
For example: 10.1.1.1 mywsg.barracuda.com
- Save the hosts file.
Either before or after setting up Google Directory Services, you must configure the Barracuda Chromebook Security Extension as mentioned above.
Configure Google Directory Services on the Barracuda Web Security Gateway
- Log into the Barracuda Web Security Gateway web interface as admin.
- Go to the USERS/GROUPS > Authentication page. Follow instructions to configure an Alias by which to refer to the GDS authentication service and your Google domain (you must have read access to GDS for this domain). You will use the alias to select all Chromebook users when creating and assigning policies on the Barracuda Web Security Gateway.
- Click Setup Google Directory Service. In the Configure Localhost popup, assuming you have already edited your hosts file as described above, click Continue.
- You are redirected to a Google page in your browser, prompting you to select and log into your Google account.
- You are then prompted by Google to allow the Barracuda Web Security Gateway permissions to access users and groups of users on your Google domain. Click Allow.
You are then redirected to the USERS/GROUPS > Authentication page on the Barracuda Web Security Gateway. You should see the alias of the GDS instance you created in the