Applies to all Barracuda Web Filters, firmware versions 3.1 and higher.
The Barracuda Web Filter provides 10 layers of defense against web-based threats. Several layers of protection are applicable to Windows vulnerabilities:
- Web site blocking. The Barracuda Web Filter prevents users from visiting Web sites known to host malware.
- Virus and spyware scanning. The Barracuda Web Filter prevents downloads of known virus or spyware exploits via FTP or HTTP.
- Spyware protocol blocking. The Barracuda Web Filter prevents spyware "phone home" activity that might also be used to propagate malware.
- MIME type blocking. The Barracuda Web Filter can prevent downloads of certain file types that might be targeted by a Windows vulnerability prior to the capture of a known exploit.
- Spyware Removal. The Barracuda Web Filter includes the Barracuda Spyware Removal Tool, an ActiveX control that can automatically remove known spware exploits from Windows computers. The Barracuda Web Filter can be configured to automatically serve up the Barracuda Spyware Removal Tool when spyware infection activity is detected.