Scope:Applies to all Barracuda Web Filter appliances on all versions of firmware.
1. Login to a workstation in the same subnet as your Barracuda Web Filter.
2. Open a Command prompt, From the Start menu, choose All Programs, click Accessories, and select Command Prompt. Shortcut: Windows Key + r and then type in cmd and enter.
3. You will be presented with a command line interface.If you do not see telnet as an option then you will need to see how to enable telnet on your PC first.*At the cursor then, enter the following:
telnet support01.barracudanetworks.com 22
4. Press the enter key. If the telnet was successful, you will seeSSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.4as the output. Any other output indicates a failed connection.5. you can also ping the server to see it is avaialbleping support01.barracudanetworks.comyou should see keep alives and then cancelPinging support01.barracudanetworks.com [188.8.131.52] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 184.108.40.206: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=51Reply from 220.127.116.11: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=516. tracert support01.barracudanetworks.comnormally this should complete in so many hops from your location.Tracing route to support01.barracudanetworks.com [18.104.22.168]over a maximum of 30 hops:1 * * * requesd timed out18 59 ms 59 ms 59 ms barracuda.com [22.214.171.124]Trace complete.
If you do not see trace complete you may need to talk to your ISP to confirm access is available via the ISP.
If you do not have telnet as an option,
1. You should also be able to find a telnet command in the GUI on the Advanced Tab> Troubleshooting page. Here you can just add the IP or hostname and then a space and the port to test and verify the output.support01.barracudanetworks.com 22
A successful telnet connection indicates that your Barracuda Web Filter is able to access the support servers over port 22. Also test port 8788 as an additionally used port now. Please contact Barracuda Support for additional support tunnel troubleshooting.
You should get this output showing, SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.4
Connected to barracuda.com (126.96.36.199).
Escape character is '^]'.
Click STOP and close window!
Trying 188.8.131.52... Connected to support01.barracudanetworks.com (184.108.40.206). Escape character is '^]'.
* Depending on your Windows configuration, your workstation may not have telnet installed by default. If you receive a command line error stating that telnet is not a recognized command, please use the following TechNet article to install telnet prior to running this solution.
Link to this page: