You must have a VMware ESX license to enable the VMware ESX agent to back up files on a virtual server. Yosemite Server Backup needs the VMware storage APIs to connect to the VMware host and back up guests. Check the VMware host to confirm that you have applied the correct license to allow Yosemite Server Backup agent to back up guests as a component of Yosemite Server Backup backup jobs.
Log in to the VMware host. Go to Configuration > Licensed Features to confirm that you have the Storage APIs pointed at the VMware host.
To configure the VMware ESX agent
- In Yosemite Server Backup Administrator, on the Tasks page, select Advanced > Network.
- Under the host machine that will serve as the proxy server, select VMware ESX Agent and click Enable.
- On the Properties of VMware ESX Agent page, select Check this box to enable Yosemite Server Backup ESX Agent.
- Enter the name or IP address of the VMware host in the ESX Hostname/IP column,
- Enter credentials for the VMware host in the Username and Password fields.
- Click Test Connection. If VMware vSphere PowerCLI is already installed (signified by a green check mark), proceed to step 7. If VMware vSphere PowerCLI is not installed:
- In the dialog box which says the command-line PowerShell tool, VMware vSphere PowerCLI, is not installed on your system, click OK.
In the Product/Details section of the Download VMware Product vSphere Power CLI page, click Download the VMware vSphere Power CLI.
- Once the download completes, double-click the VMware PowerCLI installer and click Run in the Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
- Follow the instructions on the InstallShield wizard to install the agent. Then click Finish.
- In the Administrator, on the Tasks > Advanced > Network page, select VMware ESX Agent again and click Enable.
- Repeat steps 3 through 6. Then click Test Connections to verify that the agent can connect to the ESX host.
From the Working Directory menu, select a directory to temporarily store snap shots of selected guest machines. You can modify the default directory (Yosemite Server Backup\temp directory) to another directory on your domain.
- Click Apply and OK.
When you select the VMware host in the Tasks page Network view, you can view all guests listed in the right-hand pane, You can select the entire host or individual guests from that host to be included in the selection list for your backup jobs