Yosemite Server Backup, version 8.0 and above
This solution details the steps to create a five day backup schedule, Monday through Friday. The backup job will use a separate tape for each day. Using a separate tape for each day protects each day's tape from being overwritten if it is inserted on the incorrect day.
You will need a minimum of 5 tapes for the rotation. There is no maximum limit on the number of tapes you can use for a backup job. If you want a month worth of Monday through Friday tapes you can use 20 tapes, 4 for each Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. You would use a different Monday tape for each of the four weeks, on the fifth Monday you would start over with the first Monday tape.
Creating a 5 Day Backup Schedule
Version 8.9.X and Above
- Open Yosemite Server Backup and create a new Backup Job.
- To create a new backup job, either Double-Click on Backup from the Tasks view, or click on Jobs and Media then click on New.
- Select Backup Job as the job type and then enter a name to be used as a description for the backup job, and then click OK.
- The properties of the Backup job are opened in a new window with a list of page links, used to define the attributes of the job, displayed on the left side of the window.
- Schedule Type: Run Repeatedly
- Start Time: Change to the time that corresponds to your backup job
- Rotation Type: Custom Rotation
- Type of Fixed Rotation: Fixed by Day of Week
- Note: By default, it enables Monday ? Friday. If you wish to run backups on Saturday or Sunday, click on Calendar and modify the settings as needed, and increase the number of sets.
Version 8.0 to 8.9
- Open Yosemite Server Backup and navigate to the Favorites Menu.
- Click the Jobs and Media icon and then click the Admin folder.
- Select File > New to create a new backup job. Optionally you can right-click in the white space of the right most window and select New.
- Select Backup Job as the job type and then enter a name to be used as a description for the backup job, and then click OK. The properties of the Backup job are opened in a new window with a list of page links, used to define the attributes of the job, displayed on the left side of the window.
- Click Selection and choose the computers and associated files and folders to be backed up.
- Click Device/Media and choose the target backup device from the Devices to be used window.
- Click Schedule and modify the settings as follows:
Schedule Type: Run Repeatedly
Start Time: Change to the time that corresponds to your backup job
Start Date: Change to the day of the week that corresponds to your backup job
Rotation Type: Custom Rotation
Type of Fixed Rotation: Fixed by Day of Week
Interval settings: Edit the settings for Week, Month, and Year by clicking on the corresponding buttons and unchecking the Enable option for each. Edit the settings for Day and set the Backup Type to Full and the Number of Rotation Sets to 1. Apply the changes to each by clicking OK.
- Click OK to save the backup job.