This solution applies to Yosemite Server Backup version 8.8 and newer.
To leverage the Recovery Storage Group feature in Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 using Yosemite Server Backup, perform the following steps:
Create a Full backup of the Storage Group(s).
- Create a directory on the Exchange machine (e.g. C:\restore_exchange_sg\). This is the location that we are going to temporarily restore the .edb/.stm files associated with the storage group.
- Now open Yosemite Server Backup and from under Advanced > Catalog navigate to Microsoft Exchange Server and open the properties of the storage group.
- Go to Configuration and change restore options to alternate restore path by pointing them to the location of your recovery storage group folder for example: "C:\restore_exchange_sg\".
- Run the restore just on this storage group.
- Now run ESEUTIL /G XXXX.EDB on each restored database that you plan to move into the Production environment. For example, to run an integrity check on the database from the earlier example you would run the following from a command prompt:
C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>eseutil.exe /G "C:\restore_exchange_sg\priv1.edb"
- If the integrity check shows that any files are in need of repair then run ESEUTIL /P on that database.
- Once the repair operation is complete it is time to create the Recovery Storage Group.
- Open Exchange System Manager and right-click the server in question and select New. Then select Recovery Storage Group.
- Right-click the new Recovery Storage Group and choose Add Database to Recover.
- Look through the list of available Mailbox stores, select the one you want to restore, and double-click it.
- When you double-click, another window will pop-up. Select the database tab on the top and change the names of Exchange database and Exchange streaming database (the .edb and .stm files are the same as the mail store you want to restore).
- Once the database is added it is time to move the restored files from the C:\restore_exchange_sg directory over to the location the Recovery Storage Group. Typically, that would be C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Recovery Storage Groups. Move or copy them from the C:\restore_exchange_sg directory and put them in C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Recovery Storage Groups.
- Mount the database(s) in the RSG using the Exchange Management Console (Exchange 2003).
- Merge the Mailbox stores from the RSG into the production database using the Exmerge utility. Instructions to use the Exmerge utility can be found in the following Microsoft KB article:
For information on how to perform these steps for Exchange 2007, please refer to Solution #00004248.
Link to this page: