This solution applies to Yosemite Server Backup 8.8 and newer
To leverage the Recovery Storage Group feature in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 in order to recover individual mailboxes using Yosemite Server Backup, perform the following steps:
Create a Full backup of the Storage Group(s).
- Create a directory on the Exchange machine (eg. C:\restore_exchange_sg\). This is the location that you are going to temporarily restore the .edb/.stm files associated with the storage group.
- Now open Yosemite Server Backup and from under Advanced > Catalog navigate to Microsoft Exchange Server and open the properties of the storage group.
- Go to Configuration and change the restore options to alternate restore path by pointing them to the location of your temporary folder for example: "C:\restore_exchange_sg\".
- Run the restore only on this storage group which is pointing to the mentioned folder.
- Open Exchange Management Console and, from the bottom of the left menu, open toolbox.
- In toolbox, from the Disaster Recovery Tools, select Disaster Recovery Management.
- Name this job (e.g. RSG restore) and make sure that your Exchange Server name and Domain Controller Name are correctly filled in and click Next.
- This page might ask you for your domain password and exchange server password. Add the requested information and move to next step.
- Select Create Recovery Storage Group and click next.
- Select the storage group you want to associate with this RSG and click next.
- Analyze the directory locations and pairing done by the DRM tool and remember to note the physical path of the RSG directory being created.
- Click Create Recovery Storage Group.
- After RSG is created click Go back to task center button. Note: Do not close the DRM tool.
- Now you can move the restored files to the c:\restore_exchange_sg directory over to where the Recovery Storage Group was created. That would typically be: C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\ Mailbox\(storage group to be restored)\RSGxxxxxx.
- Move or copy the restored data from the c:\restore_exchange_sg directory to C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\ Mailbox\(storage group to be restored)\RSGxxxxxx.
- Go back to the already open DRM tool and you can repair and verify databases and then copy or merge the mailbox.
You have to mount the RSG mailbox before you can merge them into the production mailbox.
For information on how to perform these steps with Exchange 2003, please refer to Solution #00004245.
Link to this page: