Follow these instructions if your WAN interface is provided using PPPoE. This protocol is typically used by ISPs that offer DSL. If your ISP provides a modem, connect the Ethernet port of the modem to a free network interface of your Barracuda NextGen X-Series Firewall. Use the Ethernet cable that is delivered with the modem. If a cable was not delivered with the modem, please clarify if the modem must be connected to another device with a standard Ethernet cable or a crossover cable.
Configure a PPPoE connection
- Go to the NETWORK > IP Configuration page.
- In the Dynamic Interface Configuration section, click Add Dynamic Network Interface.
- From the Network Interface list, select the network interface that the ISP modem is connected to on the firewall.
- Enter a name for the new connection.
- Select the following settings:
- Network Protocol: PPPoE
- Classification: WAN
- Configure the remaining settings for your network requirements.
- If your dial-in connection requires Synchronous PPP mode, select the check box. If you are not sure which mode to use, contact your ISP.
- For the initial configuration, keep the default Metric value of
100. In a multiprovider configuration, the firewall chooses the interface with the lowest metric for outgoing traffic.
- You can make the firewall reachable with a unique identifier (DNS-resolvable name). For Use Dynamic DNS, select Yes and enter your DynDNS credentials. For more information on the DynDNS service, see http://dyn.com/dns/.
- You can manually start and stop the link. For Connection Start Method, select Manual. To control the link, go to the Dynamic Network Interfaces section of the NETWORK > Interfaces page.
- To monitor the Internet connection, select a type of Health Check to perform. Most ISPs support LCP to continuously monitor successful data transmission. However, you can use ICMP requests for monitoring the Internet connection. If you use ICMP for link monitoring, add a target IP address to the Health Check Target list.
- Click Add.
- At the top of the page, click on the warning message to execute the new network configuration.
- After committing your changes, log back into the X-Series Firewall.